<dfn id="xlvbz"><listing id="xlvbz"><menuitem id="xlvbz"></menuitem></listing></dfn>

<form id="xlvbz"><nobr id="xlvbz"><meter id="xlvbz"></meter></nobr></form>

The Death of Joy and Farewell Jean Patou
          Columns

by Miguel Matos
          10/22/20 17:50:13 ( 61 comments )

Something I was fearing has happened. The house of Jean Patou is now dead when it comes to fragrance production.... The acquisition of the brand by LVMH was the final sign that things were coming to an end, and when they released a perfume called Joy under the Dior umbrella, it was clear that nothing good was going to happen with the original Joy, launched by Jean Patou in 1930.

But I still had some hope, as I saw LVMH's efforts in bringing back the couture house. Unfortunately, the death of the perfume line is now official, and you can see it on the Patou (they dropped the Jean) website, clear for everyone to behold (and weep about).

Patou

Yes, you are reading it well: "Today, Jean Patou's fragrances are no longer in production."

Jean Patou Joy Forever

Joy Forever... Ironic, huh?

It's the end of an era, for all those who recognize Joy as an icon of perfumery, but also the end of many other scents, like 1000 and Sublime, pieces of olfaction that are a part of so many people's memories and personal stories. Maybe there just aren't enough buyers of these fragrances in the world. Maybe their time has passed and they have become fragrance zombies. As for me, I think that Joy is just as timeless and important as Chanel Nº5. But what was once the "Costliest Perfume in The World" seems to have lost its market value, at least for its current owners, LVMH.

Patou Joy ad

The death of Joy is something we should worry about, because it's a significant part of a collective history, especially in France. It's part of the French cultural heritage, and it should be cherished by those who purchased the rights to produce it, even if it would become a limited distribution edition. Fortunately, there is still the Osmotheque in Paris, where the original formula is kept available for everyone to smell.

Jean Patou's fragrances were a very important part of the business for the French couturier. He opened his perfume business after watching Paul Poiret (in 1911), Coco Chanel (in 1921) and Jeanne Lanvin (in 1924) making money out of their first fashion designer fragrances. In 1925, he released his first two scents: Amour Amour and Que Sais-Je?, the first one was a floral bouquet dedicated to women with lighter skin and the second one was a fruity chypre dedicated to women with darker skin. The line became a trio with Adieu Sagesse, a gardenia soliflore created for redheads. As described by Emmanuelle Polle in her book Jean Patou -  Fashionable Life, "these three perfumes were designed for different hair types, three types of skin, and therefore three types of women. Their order of appearance suggests the three stages of a lovers' relationship, from the first thrill to the pleasure of succumbing." This idea of moments in the love process was further explored by the designer in other perfumes like the first unisex fragrance Le Sien (1929), the rose-jasmine pièce de resistance Joy (1930), and Moment Suprême (1931), a spicy floral bouquet.

Henri Alméras, a perfumer that had worked before for Paul Poiret, was the creator of all the Patou perfumes that I've mentioned, as well as Chaldée, a fragrance that came to the world firstly as a scented tanning oil, and knew great success, especially in coastal places like Deauville and Monte-Carlo. The perfume branch of the Patou company was growing and it had subsidiaries in New York, as well as fields of roses and jasmine in Grasse, for it's own use in perfumes. "This control of every stage of production is another example of the care Jean Patou put into everything. It also reflects his fierce desire for independence, the better to run his house as he saw fit," references Emmanuelle Polle.

Patou Joy ad

In 1936, following France's paid vacations initiative, Jean Patou launched Vacances, which was more successful than Colony, launched in 1938, at a moment when independence movements were rising. Among his masculine releases, we had Normandie in 1935, Patou Pour Homme (1980), and Voyageur (1995). Jean Patou was always looking for something different; in 1928 he released Cocktail Dry, Cocktail Sweet, and Cocktail Bitter Sweet, three perfumes that were made for layering with seven bottles of concentrated extracts called Angosturas. They all came inside a wooden box, and they recall the time when Patou had an actual cocktail bar  inside his boutique in Paris.

Jean Patou

Jean Patou as a company suffered from going through the years of economic recession, but it had a contradictory approach: when things got tough, luxury was boosted. Even when the company was in difficulties, and so was its clientele, Patou's approach was always to surprise the market with seemingly nonsensical products. That was the case of Joy, the quintessence of rarity and supreme opulence. When in 1929, Jean Patou smelled the unreleased sample of what was to be Joy, he loved it, but the perfumer told him it would be impossible to release it in the marker, for the essences that had been used were too expensive, and impossible to use commercially due to the prohibitive price. Jean Patou took this answer and turned this perfume into a marketing strategy, announcing Joy as "The World's Costliest Perfume." It was a success!

An ounce of Joy had a retail price of 40 dollars, the most expensive perfume at the time. As told by Emmanuelle Polle, "What the clients would soon learn was that this ounce of perfume was produced through the extraction of some 10,600 jasmine flowers and 28 dozen roses. It was a gargantuan perfume, requiring huge quantities of fresh flowers. The couturier-perfumer was not one for artifice, be it in the way silk was worked or the walk of a model on the runway, or the ingredients of a perfume. The same line of conduct prevailed in his perfumes and his fashions: the quest for naturalness and the very best raw materials."

Jean patou Joy

Joy was different from the previous Patou perfumes. First of all, unlike all the precious releases from the house, this bottle was very simple, austere and geometric, much in sync with the Art Deco style, and following the footsteps of the hit of Chanel Nº5. Second, the composition was for all women, more universal and not directed at a specific skin color or a particular event. It was a simple name, but very meaningful for everyone, everywhere. Joy was also jumping in the floral rose-jasmine trend initiated with Chanel Nº5, but whereas Chanel's take depended on artificiality and illusions, Patou's approach was mainly about naturalness and tradition.

After the death of the designer in 1936, the Jean Patou perfume production went from hand to hand with several ups and downs, until it recently fainted and deceased in the hands of LVMH. The name Jean Patou has 52 perfumes in our fragrance base, and the latest release was in 2016. Jean Patou fragrances were made in collaboration with perfumers Jean Kerleo, Jean-Michel Duriez, Henri Almeras, Henri Giboulet, Guy Robert, and Thomas Fontaine (read HERE our interview with him, where we talk about the days when Jean Patou seemed to be on the right track, again).

Jean Patou 1000

Jean Patou SublimeOf course, there are many more perfumes from the house of Jean Patou that are wonderful, and you can even take a look at our article Best In Show Jean Patou Fragrances. Let's not forget 1000 (1972), Sublime (1992), and Patou For Ever, created by Jean Kerleo. But Joy is, or should be, considered an indelible cultural heritage of perfume history and French culture.

In 2014, when the brand belonged to Designer Parfums, Joy Forever was re-created by perfumer Thomas Fontaine in an attempt to allure younger crowds into the magic of Joy with a fresher, musky, and slightly fruity composition. However, it did not seem to convince. Before that, Sira des Indes was also another interesting scent in need of highlighting, composed by Jean-Michel Duriez when the brand belonged to Procter & Gamble. This indolic, spicy, fruity, tropical scent was not met with much enthusiasm either. What Jean Patou needed was to keep the classic Joy and create a new world today. LVMH could have done that. Instead, they took the name of the masterpiece in order to apply it to a nondescript forgettable scent in the Dior portfolio, and after that they closed the historical house of Patou, leaving the world forever without Joy.

Author

Miguel Matos

Miguel Matos Editor, Writer, Translator

Miguel has been a Fragrantica editor and columnist since 2013, and his work has been recognized by the Fragrance Foundation and the Perfumed Plume Awards several times, as well as by the Art and Olfaction Awards in 2019. He has a list of olfactory art exhibitions, including Making the Body Think, in Los Angeles, at the Institute for Art and Olfaction. He wrote the book "The Perfumed Zodiac" (in Portuguese) and launched his own line of fragrances, Miguel Matos Olfactory Art. His perfumer portfolio includes fragrances made for Bruno Acampora, Calaj, Der Duft, Horai Studio, Nishane and Sarah Baker.

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

News Comments

Write your comment
          theLady
          Horizon

theLady 11/01/20 11:29

Who got online and purchased a bottle of something by Patou at discount after reading this?
          Tiger84

Tiger84 10/28/20 17:43

LVMH destroys whatever it touches.
          danceforjoy
          Extraordinary

danceforjoy 10/27/20 10:58

I keep wishing somebody will rescue these greats - people revive motorcycle companies - can't someone see the value that these classic fragrances have? We can only hope.
          MiruB

MiruB 10/27/20 04:29

I'm a business owner; if one of my products doesn't do well and can't be ressurected, I scrap/discontinue it and move on.
          I don't see why anyone would expect a mamouth of this industry to act differently, they are a for profit and answer to their stakeholders. I wonder how many of people commenting on this article have purchased JP in the past years.
          That doesn't mean I LVMH or the multitude of **** they've put out on the market in the past years ...
          I never managed to find a Jean Patou which agreed with me, and Joy in particular was vile... Vacances and Sira des Indes were likes but I'll survive without them. Other more beautiful and interesting fragrances than Jean Patou's have been discontinued, only so many I can mourn...
          krmarich
          John Galliano

krmarich 10/26/20 19:22

I must say that its not over until it over. Jean Patou is a quirky house that is full of enigmas. The brand is too glamourous for just anyone to handle, yet difficult for LVMH(kill-joy) to market . Lets look back to the 1990s when the brand was moving at full speed-Sublime, PanAme and Voyageur. The fans are worldwide and loyal as ever. Yet for whatever reason, limited in number. Then came the millenium with its restrictions on ingredients. Basically Jean Patou was one the biggest offenders with its unregulated oakmoss and civet in just about everything. Enter Proctor and Gamble. They had some success with the brand, but the market had changed. Then came the uninspired heritage collection. Finally LVMH as the big bad wolf to blow the house down.

I feel that Jean Patou will be wrested away for the less skilled hands and revived someday. The damage has already been done, but the legend will live on. The brand is just too big to be forgotten.
          myricle
          L’Extase

myricle 10/26/20 14:01

:( I'm glad that I have a small bottle of current formulation EDT. It's the most heavily indolic fragrance that I own (and can actually wear and enjoy). Another sad Patou Joy association for me: a few years ago, when I was helping my retired parents move from their big house in one state to a smaller house in another, my mother discovered deep in a dresser drawer and inside a very fancy box a tiny vial of a heavily concentrated version of Joy - an extrait or pure parfum or similar - that my father had bought her in Paris in the 1970s. We both smiled about her still having it, and marveled at how deep a shade of brown (almost black) it had become (I honestly don't think it was ever heavily worn). I knew nothing about vintages at the time, and assumed (along with my mom) that it was completely spoiled and worthless. I'm 99.9% sure she threw it away.

Tragically, five years later, I lost my mom. I treasure and frequently wear the ten or so bottles of various fragrances she had been actively wearing at the time of her passing. But I still think about that little bottle of Joy sometimes, especially when I'm missing my mom. I wish I could talk to her now about fragrance, and share with her what I've learned through reading and my own hands-on experimentation. Fragrance shouldn't have to be sad, but, sadly(?), that is the emotion it knows best, I think.
          Guerlainguy
          Cuir Intense

Guerlainguy 10/26/20 13:06

Is it sad that Jean patou is no longer producing perfumes? Of course it is. Is it the fault of LVMH? In short, No. it isn’t. Blame the many so called fans that clearly didn’t buy the fragrances. Or the marketing teams of past owners that seemingly did nothing but sit on their back sides while trying to make money off of the back catalogue. By the time Fontaine joined and started creating it was far too gone. Many of the comments below recall how Joy or 1000 was their mothers or grandmothers favourite scent yet there are very few comments calling any of patou’s fragrances their own signature. Most of the comments on Joys fragrantica page are from commenters who bought decants or hunted down old bottles rather than buying from a store at full retail price... as much as I love decants, this does not keep a fragrance house alive. At least the house of Patou is still alive and being resurrected in a new form. I love high fashion and so far the creations look fabulous. As someone said below, I’m pretty sure they will at some point reissue the fragrances but with a proper re release with a rebranding that the house deserves. I wonder what house will be next, Cacharel seems to have had its heyday as well as Piguet. It wouldn’t surprise me if these were given the same treatment at some point.
          maemaex
          Sira des Indes

maemaex 10/26/20 11:56

NO! Sira des Indes is a signature of mine and unbelievably unique. And Joy was one of my first sniffs of true perfumery. I wanted to learn more about fragrance and it's history because of this house. I'm very, very sad.
          EsmeCrowfoot
          Thé Des Vignes

EsmeCrowfoot 10/26/20 11:44

How sad. Joy was one of Judy Garland’s favourite perfumes. This article has just prompted me to buy a little bottle off eBay.
          churinl
          Iris des Champs

churinl 10/26/20 06:43

This makes me incredibly sad. Growing up, Joy was the epitome of femininity and sophistication. I have a both the more recent versions in EDT and EDP, as well as 2 bottles of vintage parfum and the long lost Eau de Joy. I also have more recent bottles of Sublime and 1000, and will be looking to add an extrait of 1000, which really is my favorite. But to me, a world without Joy is like a world without No. 5. The loss is tragic. I HATE LVMH!!!
          bhean_sidhe
          Jeux de Peau

bhean_sidhe 10/26/20 03:13

Like Milton once wrote, farewell happy fields, where joy forever dwells: hail, horrors, hail.
          Barbiepink
          Fantasy

Barbiepink 10/26/20 00:50

The nerve of LVMH to steal 'Joy' and then essentially bury Patou. Never....Je me souviens.
          Mr.Xavier
          Tea for Two

Mr.Xavier 10/25/20 22:33

To Rosequeen, LVMH means Louis Vuitton, Moet, Hennesy. It's a company with many others companies, a conglomerate. In the fragrance business they own Aqua Di parma, Guerlain, Givenchy, Dior etc...
          rosequeen
          Fleurs de Rocaille

rosequeen 10/25/20 21:32

Ok, what are the whole words in the acronym LVMH? It's not an acronym I'm familiar with, and I'm not finding it spelled out anywhere. What other fragrances/products do they own? I can't be the only reader here who doesn't just know this.
          SuzanneS
          Jardanel

SuzanneS 10/25/20 17:35

I will not support anything by LVMH they are the McDonalds of Luxury. This is absolutely disgraceful. Bean counters keep destroying true luxury houses. I have no words but newer is not always better. Keep pedaling your synthetic cheap sh*tstorms LVMH and call em fancy for the McHeard...
          mshilov
          No. XXII Black Afghan

mshilov 10/25/20 16:22

It's sad to state that the very elite of modern France doesn't take much care of it's cultural heritage... I have just read that LVMH owner became 8 billions dollars richer this week. Still not enough money to save Joy?
          drouhin
          Perfume Calligraphy Saffron

drouhin 10/25/20 08:44

LVMH seems to be on a mission to destroy perfumery.
          FragFrog
          Perfect

FragFrog 10/25/20 07:19

I remember vising his boutique in Paris. I was near Place Vandome
          I am glad I did.
          It will be a memory of the grand, opulent times that has nothing to do with the presence . Like travelling in time .... Dreamy ...
          SueC
          Sira des Indes

SueC 10/24/20 22:43

This is very sad news for people who love and appreciate legendary French fragrances. I knew something was up when I saw a new Dior fragrance called "Joy". How did they get away with that? I am so tired of monster corporations swallowing up and destroying smaller couture houses and their perfumes. People who say "wear something else, it doesn't matter". It does matter because Jean Patou fragrances are unique and have a special place in history. It was special for me years ago to buy Joy duty free and use it on a foreign holiday, and the fragrance cements my memory of that trip. It was also special for me to gift a bottle of Joy to my mother, who never spent any money on luxuries for herself. I still have Joy in my collection and just this week was enjoying wearing Sira des Indes for its happy tropical feel - unique in an oriental perfume. But in my top 5 favourite perfumes is the delectable Sublime. The golden rich orangey citrus note with gorgeous florals and the dreamiest of vanilla. I once smelled it on a well dressed gentlemen near me in the audience at a live concert in an elegant theatre. I wanted to tell him that I knew and appreciated his impeccabe taste but I just smiled to myself. It's luscious and sophisticated. I just bought another bottle in case it disappears fast. I can survive without Joy, but Sublime is special to me. I never got to try 1000.
          Mr.Xavier
          Tea for Two

Mr.Xavier 10/24/20 22:40

If LVMH can throw away the entire army of loyal customers of Phoebe Philo's Celine's womenwear without batting an eyelash they certainly can get rid of a complete fragance line for holding a single word: joy.
          Michylaka
          Elixir des Merveilles

Michylaka 10/24/20 17:28

This was my late grandmother's signature fragrance. She was a classy Welsh woman from Llangennith and Swansea. Beautiful, stately and opulent with one blue eye and one green. I was given her last bottle of the Parfum Delux when she passed. One in the Baccarat flacon. So amazing. I still have at least three quarters of it. I have been so careful not to use it up. I save it for those moments when I can sit and relish the memory of my Mamgu. I was quick to find a deal on a Vintage eau de parfum as well. Nothing ever stays the same. An era of class and true sophistication is seemingly in the past. Parfumery has lost one of the biggest icons ever with the discontinuation of Jean Patou. Sighs!!!
          matty64
          Bvlgari Man In Black

matty64 10/24/20 16:21

The Neiman Marcus here in Tampa, Florida has JOY by Jean Patou, on the shelf. I was there today, so for now you could order it online and stock up. I mean, if it’s your signature scent. Y’all know what I mean! Geez, Louise!
          9-na
          Asrar

9-na 10/24/20 10:19

Thanks for the news. I wondered what it was about with Dior's Joy, well, who knew, could be just another case of "it's the same name, but a different thing". Turns out... it's RIP Jean Patou. On the other hand, right you are, spigo. Why not? If, say, Guerlain makes fewer than 1000 bottles of their classics (original formula et al, 30 ml, parfum) and sells them for €650... Really, why not? There is a market for everything. Or almost everything.
          Tonkks
          Trish McEvoy 3 Snowdrop & Crystal Flowers

Tonkks 10/24/20 09:53

My grandmother's scent. She kept it in her dresser and would bring it out for me to smell and say, "There are the petals from 1,000 roses in this bottle." <3
          gazelle
          Rapture

gazelle 10/24/20 08:21

Joy was the perfume my husband gifted me on our first anniversay 55 years ago. We have many happy memories of when and where I wore it. I loved the roses. He loved the civet.
          LuisFelicio
          L’Homme Ideal Eau de Parfum

LuisFelicio 10/24/20 06:40

Shame on the LVMH CEO's.
          To kill such a brand with this much glamour !!!!
          The Word of Purfumes wont be the same ...... ??
          andor

andor 10/24/20 00:42

The very notion of "the costliest perfume in the world" is extremely 20th century, in a bad way. Anyway that has nothing to do with the experience of the fragrance. At least its history and reverence for it will live on in books, the internet, the osmotheque, etc. And as for the opportunity to experience beauty, art, and quality generally, that has not gone away for anyone.
          foofoo14
          Chloé (Parfums Chloé)

foofoo14 10/23/20 23:26

I was wondering about this, when I saw that Christian Dior Fragrances had a new scent called Joy. It is really upsetting beyond belief.
          moonfish67
          Vendetta Uomo

moonfish67 10/23/20 21:14

oh, vintage sellers will boost their prices on Jean Patou now. Glad I've stocked by Joy, 1000, Ma Liberte, Sublime and some others before...
          ldetrich
          Feminite du Bois

ldetrich 10/23/20 18:42

What a disgrace.
          LVMH buys up companies, reformulates their stock to a lower quality, yet discontinues masterpieces from historical houses.
          Quelle horreur.
          VanillaTabbyCat1963
          Very Irresistible Eau de Toilette

VanillaTabbyCat1963 10/23/20 15:24

I am glad I got my two bottles. Such a shame.
          Hija

Hija 10/23/20 14:30

LVMH is "killing" everything they get their greedy hands on - e.g by degrading the quality of perfumes (for no reason other than maximizing profits) - but the "New Markets" and expanding economies around the world would not know the difference, eh? Sad, and expresses no moral and veneration for the original products and masterpieces..or their loyal "old" customers- (just my - perhaps - rash opinion, I apologize -)
          ILikePeeps
          Aqua Allegoria Flora Nymphea

ILikePeeps 10/23/20 14:17

Oh wow..
          jovejove
          Sage Spell

jovejove 10/23/20 11:19

What once was, no longer is. Unpopular opinion, as I’m thankful for being able to witness this fragrance, but it has no place on the fragrance shelves any longer.

It’s turned to have more sentimental value than any economic significance. LVMH bought the house for the fashion, not the fragrance. Like all houses that no longer have the original designer at the helm, they drop their first name, which is why it’s now only Patou.

The only individuals that would seek interest of this scent would be those from blogs, individuals looking to smell a ghost from the past, but never do they buy a bottle. Maybe an exceptions here and there, but on a global scale, they probably sell a bottle a month.

It’s more of a museum piece now, something that people should be able to revert to as what perfumery was, but In reality it not longer is. It makes no sense for a retailer to hold up $5,000-$10,000 worth of inventory and space, which is on the lower end of the scale, for a fragrance or brand that may sell a bottle once every couple of years.

People are going to just have to mourn it’s loss. I’m sure they’ll create special anniversary editions for those who want a blast from the past every decade, but it doesn’t warrant them to have this in regular production. C’est la vie!
          nina75

nina75 10/23/20 10:49

Sad, sad, sad. LVMH is killing great art with clones of totally soulless pink pepper and white musc. What comes next: Louvren removes Mona Lisa and replaces her with a glossy poster with a sunset and "Carpe Diem" print.
          Claire Dessert
          Eau D'Hermes

Claire Dessert 10/23/20 10:48

Criminal! Farewell, Joy!
          smellagent
          Prada Candy Kiss

smellagent 10/23/20 10:18

The first thing that came to my mind was so glad I have a bottle of Joy. It’s sad in a way but they had a great run.
          swoon
          Les Exclusifs de Chanel Cuir de Russie 1924

swoon 10/23/20 09:38

It is sad, but not because of LVMH. If you can't live up to the promises on quality due to either financial difficulty or IFRA regulation, it would only damage the brand image. All good things must come to an end, that's just how time works.
          SaturnSmiled
          Chance Eau Fraiche

SaturnSmiled 10/23/20 07:12

I have not had a change to even sample this icon of perfumery, but this is a complete travesty. Absolutely no respect at all!
          Konga5000
          Fleurs d'Oranger

Konga5000 10/23/20 06:07

As with a thousand other classic & loved perfumes getting demolished , and our new disposable culture going totally out of control -- all I can say is hold on to the things you love and treasure them more . THIS will force people to dive into vintage bottles more now !
          spigo

spigo 10/23/20 04:17

Guys,

I have an idea of nowadays time. Oliver&Co is now crowdfunding his new release, which seems to be a reasonable idea for capsule solutions. And chances are that he will win enough funds to get it rolling!

What if the perfumista society unites across the borders to call for a crowdfunding campaign aimed at preserving the Patou production in place or relocating it to other manufacturer to exist in a preorder system of releases?!

But don't dare saying this is out of our potence and good will!!! There are quite a few of examples to prove that the modern communities form the reality of their own. I think resources like fragrantica, basenotes and others may unite to delegate their leaders so as to communicate a decent crowdfunding platform with the creative Patou team! Why not to try?
          Flora55
          Narcotic Venus

Flora55 10/23/20 00:46

This is so terrible, the death of my all time favorite house and all those unforgettable perfumes. Of course I love Joy, but my favorite Jean Patou perfume was Vacances from 1936, the greatest green floral of all time, brought back in the Eighties for our delight with the other Ma Collection scents, beauties like Colony, Normandie, Moment Supreme, and the ones mentioned in the article, all jewels. I will never forgive LVMH, they flatten and homogenize everything they acquire in the pursuit of profit, never mind the great heritage behind the companies they absorb. It still baffles me that the French fragrance industry does not seem to care about these things and allows the desecration to continue. Perhaps they are all in thrall to LVMH in some way? Very sad, indeed.
          JC2109
          Paris

JC2109 10/23/20 00:43

Thanks for the update, so we don't have to find out through the grapevine (kind of...) like with other discontinued fragances. At least now we can collectively mourn :-(
          Annemarie

Annemarie 10/22/20 23:59

Those vintage ads! Such a visual feast. The opening of Joy was indeed one of the most joyful I've ever smelled.

Poor Patou. I had some hopes when Fontaine was there, boldly re-releasing some of the old classics in gorgeous new bottles, quite expensive. I assumed that the idea was to ensnare customers attracted to the exclusive lines put out by Chanel, Dior, Armani etc. The strategy obviously didn't work. In the meantime the prices for Joy, Joy Forever and Sublime seemed to decline. Which was good in a way - I got 30ml bottles of Joy and Sublime for less that $50 in Australia at discount chemists. But the low prices and less than prestigious retail environments didn't do much for the brand's desirability.

I feel sorry for the people who over the years must have put in a lot of effort to keep the ailing brand alive. Thank you! Very sad it had to come to this.
          DomfromBE
          Chanel No 5 Eau de Parfum

DomfromBE 10/22/20 23:29

When LVMH murders Dior's perfumes... Well, it's sad but it's their own business. And my decision was quickly made: Never again! Nothing from LVMH. But this... I'm wondering if L'Oréal would have dared... 1OOO will remain one of my best perfumed memories in this lifetime. I'm sure it was economically possible to produce Patou's fragrances in "limited" quantities and sell them in a few flagship stores world wide and online (Price is not an argument when it comes to real luxury; so many brands do produce in 2020 higher price tag lines than Patou). This would have respected the legacy of the brand. But buying Patou to produce synthetic accessories... It's just like their communication about Miss Dior... Which one? The candy fluid? ... NEVER AGAIN, LVMH.
          Nenalata
          Chlo? Sevigny Little Flower

Nenalata 10/22/20 23:21

NOOOOOOOOO!
          Gabe palabras

Gabe palabras 10/22/20 21:44

Adieu mounsieur patou.
          Old memories of my parents, and also mine since my first experience with a joyful and playful, the fragrance called Lacoste, its never really been replaced by anything else called modern etc.
          Cest la vie.
          Dcarlo
          Egoiste

Dcarlo 10/22/20 21:40

Every time we lose an iconic brand, artist or anything we revered for decades, is a terrible loss for everyone because such things, despite some may don’t care about, are part of our history and heritage.
          Joy for instance was the signature perfume for many stars and divas.
          Jean Patou was an icon and knowing it’s gone forever, is a tragedy specially now that everything we used to know and love, seems to be falling apart.
          A sad and tragic year in deed!
          Au revoir Joy!??
          Olotitan
          Gucci Eau de Parfum

Olotitan 10/22/20 21:28

"JOY" by Jean Patou an icon in perfumery and historical French culture!

What a shame LVMH gave up so quickly on Jean Patou's Legacy and even had the nerve to give name "JOY" to Dior which definitely wasn't a JOY how could you COMPARE.

I totally agree with you Miguel LVMH should've kept up with classic JOY and introduced to the new world they deserved to know what JOY was better yet what it could've been today RIP Jean Patou!

So sad what else is next let's not forget JOY and Jean Patou BRAVO ????
          P. S "Joy" was voted "Scent of the Century" by the public at the Fragrance Foundation FiFi Awards in 2000, beating its rival "Chanel No. 5".

THANKS Miguel Matos
          joyjoy
          Rose Snow De HJ

joyjoy 10/22/20 21:22

Wow. This is so sad! I’m shocked actually. If only I could win an obscene amount on the lottery. I just scanned this, will read it thoroughly later, but I’m really surprised there’s no one out there that would want to take over Jean Patou?! Scale it back big time, focus on quality (which imo is what Patou was originally about), hell-raise the prices...I think there is a market for this line.

Shame on you LVMH.
          jero
          Chanel N°5 (Vintage)

jero 10/22/20 21:22

maybe in this century No5 can win the famous fragrance prestige in the first place... finally.

RIP Joy
          thesheppardess
          Sucre Noir

thesheppardess 10/22/20 20:40

I must try to track down a little bottle.
          mystica

mystica 10/22/20 20:18

Very sad news... Though I was never a particular fan of Joy, it isn't good to lose such very important classics.

I think the prices of the juice will now skyrocket.
          chloematilda
          Maja?na Sin

chloematilda 10/22/20 20:07

Yet another sad fragrant loss. The scent of the world is changing. For the better? There is a great deal of "new" beauty being created - support independent fragrance houses and artists - they are producing amazing scents. We can mourn yesterday, but smell of tomorrow.
          scentedcyndi
          Alien Fusion

scentedcyndi 10/22/20 19:58

Like a lot of people, I thought Joy was a classic staple like Guerlain's Shalimar or Chanel No. 5. Also, I'm sad because it was my wedding perfume. I hope I can find a small bottle before it disappears altogether!
          spigo

spigo 10/22/20 19:47

1000... Patou for Ever... Sublime... This is unbelievable.

IN my opinion, this is a case of a horrendous blunder while choosing the marketing team. This couldn't have happened, not with this brand. Imagine how many epigons of this wonderful original style are there on the market not even thinking of leaving their niche... Just because there are hot-shots in the gang who almost drill ways to impose their wits and glamour on the audience, not even bothering that there are better and more quality driven classics then their responsibility, which is probably the right path for any business, however...

I am far from blaming those, but hey, why so? Why does Guerlain find a way to sustain old chaps of their line, why do they find ways to play with temporary withdrawals then reissues of the old gems, still insisting on their importance to the world?

Is that metal exhaustion of the owners - or what? Big money offered for the brand assets to wipe them out?

This is a shame. Spanish shame, as they say here in my country...

I never had enough funds to purchase my loved ones on my own, but I dreamed all of my life to reach for 1000 in a sensible volume. Well... Big things are better done in time,
          s801959
          L'Interdit Eau de Parfum Intense

s801959 10/22/20 19:04

I never liked the smell of "Joy" by Jean Patou at all.

About 30 years ago, it was very rare that the same name was taken given - chosen for fragrances by different companies, but nowadays it is so very frequent. And I do not like it at all. (I'm thinking about the "Guess" by Guess and the "Guess" by Marciano or "Idole" by Giorgio Armani and now by Lanc?me. Nothing alike, nor in bottle designs nor in smells, by 2 companies that have nothing to do with each other neither. Etc...

It is true that - at the time (until about the early 1990's), "Joy de Patou" was the most expensive fragrance to buy (maybe not to produce though) in the world, but as the years went by, tons of other fragrances became much more expensive to buy than "Joy"... (I'm thinking here about these companies for instance , which sell their fragrances for a much more bigger prices than Patou...:Parfum de Nicolai, Comme des gar?ons, Montale, Amouage, Maison Martin Margiela, etc...

Joy at least in the EDT version is still very very easy to find here in Québec.

Everywhere...

But as I said before, I never liked the smell at all...

Sylvie .
          jungirl
          Shalimar Eau de Parfum

jungirl 10/22/20 18:51

Unbefuckingleivable. I am so disappointed and appalled.
          violetstorm
          The One

violetstorm 10/22/20 18:41

oh my goodness this is awful news.............jean patou perfumes are absolute classics & should never go away.........and beautiful classics they are...........they are like beautiful gold liquid gems.........gee this is like saying no more chanel or guerlain................oh this is just crazy awful :( im glad i have most of jean patou scents........i will cherish them & wear them with love :)
          fragrance2016
          Mon Guerlain Eau de Toilette

fragrance2016 10/22/20 18:39

Kind of shock to hear this.

I always assumed Joy by Jean Patou was as profitable as a Chanel No. 5, Guerlain Shalimar. It's so ironic for these times--today. Joy by Jean Patou is the stimulus lesson for how to manage a fashion/perfume company in tough time. ---Push a perfume as costly and the clientele will follow, despite hardship. 'Times my be hard but there is no reason not to smell costly' (...but when I see the piecemeal stimulus solution going on in my country--United States. 800+ people dying from the Covid Pandemic, just today in the US-10/22/2020, I guess times aren't that hard...)

I learnt about Joy by Jean Patou from an article in a December 1997 Harper BAZAAR /--the one with Gwyneth Paltrow coming out of the pool, promoting her new pixie cut from her turn in 'Great Expectation'. When I read the ballyhoo around Joy by Jean Patou --"Once consider the Costliest Perfume in the World" --I went straight down to Nieman's to see what it was all about. Reading the notes ---Jasmine and Rose --I knew it wouldn't be my cup of tea( this BAZAAR also had a sample page of Shalimar and I was hook on first smell).

Oh, the naturalness of Joy by Jean Patou! It absolutely smell like a tea rose pick from a bush and jasmine growing next to it.---I saw why it was consider so illustrious. I was not a fan of rose fragrance or the note at the time, but when I was ask about a good rose fragrance --I was always state Joy by Jean Patou,

It was head scratching when I learn of Dior release and even more so at the limpness of the fragrance. It's simply not the same. Its just wrong to pass the Dior version off as the Jean Patou. It's not even worthy enough for Dior.

Though I never own it or --I do feel like I had a sample of it at one time ---it will be miss. I know Houbigant Quelques Le Fluer, Lanvin Arpege, Guerlain Liu and even Chanel No. 5 will miss it competitive friend. RIP Joy by Jean Patou

PS: I remember the Sira De Indes --- the banana note--real sweet. I think I had a sample of that too --around 2000 -2001. I thought it was going to be a hit.
          emt1986
          Cinéma

emt1986 10/22/20 18:04

I'm not normally one for dramatics, but this is actually an awful, awful loss. There is nothing quite like Joy. My bottle will be extra-cherished!

Write your comment: The Death of Joy and Farewell Jean Patou

Become a member of this online perfume community and you will be able to add your own reviews.

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

New Reviews
          Article Comments
          Nomade Chloe by samiam
          Popular brands and perfumes
          Jump to the top

Fragrantica in your language:
          | Deutsch | Espa?ol | Fran?ais | Italiano | Русский | Polski | Português | Ελληνικ? | 漢語 | Nederlands | Srpski | Roman? | ??????? | Укра?нська | Монгол | ????? | Luxois Watches | Beauty Almanac |

Follow us on twitter @fragrantica and Facebook fan page.

Copyrights ? 2006-2020 Fragrantica.com perfumes magazine - All Rights Reserved - do not copy anything without prior written permission. Please read the Terms of Service and Privacy policy.
          Fragrantica? Inc, San Diego, CA United States